How to participate
Follow these instructions to participate in the CourseNetworking and/or Canvas pilots. To suggest a system or tool for the pilot trials, please contact us.
With the Spring 2013 semester, the CN is now a default tool in all Oncourse course sites. As an instructor, when you first click on the CN tool within your Oncourse site, a corresponding course will be added to the CN, including your course roster. When your students first click on the CN tool within your Oncourse course site, they will be prompted to create a CN account and password; however, the next time they click on the tool, they will be automatically logged in to the CN. More information on CN accounts and functionality can also be found here: http://kb.iu.edu/data/bclm.html
- Students can automatically create a CourseNetworking account by clicking on the “CourseNetworking Beta” tool.
- Encourage regular posts about subjects related to your course. They can include:
- Links to articles
- YouTube videos
- Images they take via the CN iPhone app
- Polls and surveys
- Encourage "liking" or "reflecting" on posts by classmates or other students in similar courses around the world.
- The CN awards Anar seeds for every activity students participate in. This provides an engaging environment for rewarding and entertaining knowledge sharing. Take advantage of this by challenging students to accumulate a certain number of Anar seeds (e.g. 500 Anar seeds) before the end of the semester. Award 5% extra credit (or something similar) if they meet the goal.
Tips for your students:
Currently, we are only accepting requests to pilot Canvas from instructors, staff, and graduate students with teaching responsibilities. Undergraduate students interested in piloting Canvas for student organization sites or other kinds of collaborative activities should seek out a faculty or staff sponsor willing to submit a request on their behalf.
For more information on your campus teaching and learning center, visit "How do I contact the teaching and learning centers at each IU campus?" on the IU Knowledge Base.